Scripture Reading: I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. —John 17:14-16
Summary: Christians are called out of darkness and out of the world to live holy lives, walking in the light of Christ. They are to remain aloof from the influences of the world and are to daily live to glorify God in all things.
I. Called Out of Darkness
- 1 Peter 2:9-11 Called out of darkness.
- Galatians 5:16-25 People who commit the works of the flesh will not go to Heaven.
- John 3:19 “Men love darkness rather than light.”
- 1 John 1:5-7 Cannot fellowship God and walk in darkness. The blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin.
- John 8:12 Followers of Christ shall not walk in darkness.
- John 12:46 Believers abide not in darkness.
- Ephesians 5:8-11 Reprove the works of darkness.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 In Christ, old things are passed away.
- Romans 8:5-8 To be carnally minded is death.
II. Not of the World
- John 17:14-16 Disciples of Christ are not of the world.
- John 15:18-19 Chosen you out of the world. World will hate you.
- 1 John 3:1 The world knoweth us not.
- Love Not the World
- 1 John 2:15 Love not the world.
- 1 John 2:16 Lust is not of the Father.
- Colossians 3:1-2 Set your affection on things above.
III. Power of the World
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 God of this world hath blinded the minds.
- Colossians 2:8 Spoiled through philosophy and vain deceit.
- Wisdom of the World
- 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 Wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.
- 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 The foolishness of God is wiser than men.
- 2 Timothy 2:4 Do not entangle with the affairs of this life.
- Romans 12:1-2 Be not conformed to this world.
- James 4:4 A friend of the world is the enemy of God.
- James 1:27 Keep unspotted from the world.
- Matthew 16:24-26 What is profited to gain the whole world and lose the soul?
- Galatians 6:7-8 Man will reap eternally what is sown.
VI. Called to Holiness
- 1 Peter 1:15-16 Be ye holy for God is holy.
- 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 Glorify God in body and spirit.
- Hebrews 12:14 Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness. —2 Peter 3:11