Scripture Reading: Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out. — Acts 3:19
Repent: To change one’s mind; heartily to amend, with abhorrence of one’s past sins (Thayer’s Greek Lexicon).
Repentance: Contrition or regret for past wrong accompanied by a change of mind that involves a turning away from or a reversal from sin and a turning toward that which pleases God.
Summary: All sinners are called of God to repent and turn away from sin. The message of the gospel is to reject and forsake all ungodliness and to follow Jesus in holiness. Without repentance there is no true salvation.
Who is to Repent?
- Matthew 9:12-13 The sinners.
- Acts 17:30 All men every where.
- Preaching of Repentance
- Luke 3:3 John the Baptist—repentance for remission of sins.
- Mark 1:14-15 Jesus—repent and believe the gospel.
- Mark 6:12 The disciples—men should repent.
- Acts 20:20-21 Paul—repentance toward God.
Necessity of Repentance
- Luke 13:3 Except ye repent, ye shall perish.
- Acts 3:19 That your sins may be blotted out.
- Revelation 2:5 For God’s blessings and anointing.
Fruit of Repentance
- Luke 3:8 Bring forth fruits worthy of repentance.
- Acts 26:19-20 Do works meet for repentance.
- James 4:8 Cleanse your hands, ye sinners.
Attribute of Repentance: Sorrow
- 2 Corinthians 7:9-11 Godly sorrow worketh repentance.
- Psalm 51:17 A broken and contrite heart.
Attribute of Repentance: Confession
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins.
- Proverbs 28:13 Whoso confesseth and forsaketh.
Attribute of Repentance: Forsaking Sin
- Isaiah 55:6-7 Let the wicked forsake his way.
- Ezekiel 18:30 Turn yourselves from all your transgressions.
Attribute of Repentance: Separation from Ungodliness
- 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye separate.
- Ezekiel 14:6 Turn yourselves from your idols.
Attribute of Repentance: Restitution
- Leviticus 6:4-5 Restore that which was taken.
- Luke 19:8-9 Zacchaeus makes restitution.
Examples of Repentance
- Luke 15:21 Prodigal son—”I have sinned against heaven.”
- Luke 18:13 The publican—”God be merciful to me a sinner.”
- Jonah 3:8 Nineveh—“Turn every one from his evil way.”
Call to Repentance
- Acts 2:37-40 Repent…Save yourselves.
- Revelation 3:19 Be zealous therefore, and repent.
Opportunity to Repent
- Revelation 2:21 God gave space to repent.
- 2 Corinthians 6:2 Now is the day of salvation.
- Romans 2:4 Goodness of God.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not willing that any should perish.
I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
— Luke 15:7