Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. — Ephesians 5:17
God has provided the tools and resources with which we can know and understand His will in our individual lives.
I. Importance of Seeking God’s Will
A. Jeremiah 10:23 Not in man to direct his steps.
B. Proverbs 16:25 Ways of man are death.
II. You Can Know God’s Will
A. Proverbs 3:6 God will direct your paths.
B. Ephesians 1:8-9 Christ reveals His will.
C. Colossians 1:9 Knowledge of God’s will.
III. God’s General Will for All People
A. 2 Peter 3:9 All should come to repentance.
B. Romans 12:1-2 Prove the will of God.
C. 1 Peter 1:15-16 Be holy in all manner of life.
D. 1 Peter 2:21-23 Follow Christ’s example.
E. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 Sanctification.
F. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice, pray, give thanks.
IV. How God Reveals His Will
A. Word of God
- Psalm 119:105 A light unto our path.
- 2 Timothy 3:15-17 Profitable for instruction.
B. Holy Spirit
- John 16:13 He will guide into all truth.
- Romans 8:14 Led by the Spirit.
- Isaiah 30:21 Thine ears shall hear a word.
C. Voice of God
- Matthew 17:5 God speaks from the cloud.
- Acts 8:26 Angel of the Lord instructs Philip.
D. Human Instrumentality
- Ephesians 4:11-13 The ministry.
- Hebrews 13:17 Submit to God’s ministry.
- Proverbs 11:14 Importance of counsel.
- Romans 8:28 All things work together.
- Acts 16:6-7 Paul’s plans thwarted.
- Judges 6:36-40 Gideon sets a fleece.
- Matthew 12:38-40 Reproof for seeking a sign.
G. Visions and Dreams
- Acts 2:17 Spirit will give visions and dreams.
- Matthew 2:13 An angel warns Joseph.
- Acts 10:9-10, 19-20 Peter’s vision. Confirmed by the Spirit.
V. How to Seek for God’s Will
A. Seek with Desire
- Matthew 6:33 Seek ye first.
- Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do thy will.
- Psalm 25:4-5,9 Lead me in thy truth.
- Proverbs 3:5-7 Acknowledge God.
B. Pray Specifically with Faith
- James 1:5-6 Ask for wisdom in faith.
C. Draw Close to God
- Hosea 6:3 Then shall we know.
- James 4:8 Draw nigh to God.
- Psalm 46:10 Be still.
- James 1:19 Be swift to hear.
E. Wait Patiently
- Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord.
F. Submit to God’s Will
- Matthew 23:37 Ye would not!
- Luke 22:42 Not my will.
A. Ephesians 6: 6-7 From the heart.
B. Isaiah 1:19 The willing and obedient.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
—1 John 2:17